Some people are neat freaks who despise the sight of a messy room or even a dis-organized magazine stack. There are other people who cover the rest of the spectrum: slightly OCD, remotely clean, complete slob and everything in between. This list of 25 cleaning tips and tricks is for all of those people, especially for the neat freaks.
1. Clean your dryer vents every six months. Find out how, here.
2. If your inherently messy, use one rule: Everything should have a place.
3. A mixture of half coconut oil and half baking soda makes a great natural residue remover.
4. Vinegar is the best natural cleaner. Make a solution of 1:3 with water and spray it over places that smell. The odour will go in a few hours.
5. One pack of Lemonade Kool-Aid will remove lime deposits and iron stains in your dishwasher.
6. A sock is the best way to clean blinds. Soak it with vinegar and use it to clean window blinds.
7. Use bread to clean vintage paintings. Cut the bread into half as shown and rub the bread over vintage painting. It will pick up grime like a sponge. Your painting will become good as new.
8. Use an iron to remove carpet stains. Spray the spot with a solution of 1 part vinegar with 2 parts water. Lay a damp rag over the spot. Then iron for 30 seconds. The spots will be gone.
9. Use mesh produce bags as a DIY pot scrubber.
10. Refresh your mattress using the instructions provided here.
11. Clean your shower while showering using a Scotch Brite dishwand filled with half vinegar and half dishwashing detergent.
12. Drop a piece of Mr. Cleans Magic Eraser into the toilet overnight and your toilet will be ring free in the morning.
13. Dust before you vacuum, so you vacuum up the fallen dust.
14. Even your washing machine needs a cleaning. Click here for instructions.
15. Clean your sinks drain using the instructions here.
16. This mixture will remove any carpet or mattress stain.
17. You can clean your toaster to look like new. Clean and shine stainless steel by mixing 1 Tbsp cream of tarter with a few drops of water. Rub the milk-like solution onto appliance. Scrub with a sponge and wipe clean with a damp paper towel
18. A binder clip makes a great sponge stand by keeping it dry.
19. A microfiber cloth is the best way to clean lightbulbs.
20. Fabric softener wipes are the best way to clean your baseboards.
21. Microwave non-metallic sponges for two minutes on high to kill off germs and bacteria.
22. Use salt to make your iron look new again. All you need is tablespoons of table salt. Any kind of table salt will do. Turn the iron on the cotton setting. Once the iron heats up, place it on the salt and rub back and forth until the marks disappear. Turn off the iron, and let it cool down completely, and wipe the bottom plate with a damp cloth.
23. Put two caps of vanilla extract into a coffee mug and place in oven at 300 degrees for one hour to make your house smell heavenly.
24. Using waxed paper prevents water spots and finger prints.
25. Fill your tub a few inches with the hottest water to increase the effectiveness of alkaline cleansers.